Over the next few years, around 12,000 construction workers are expected to retire yet only 2,000 new workers are expected to enter the industry. Coupled with a reduced reliance on migrant labour as a result of Brexit, this leaves the industry facing a skills shortage crisis as highlighted by the Farmer review.
Taking a holistic view of the problem and the various practical solutions, this panel will explore:
- The role of training academies and apprenticeships – how can we achieve the scale needed to make a difference?
- Addressing funding issues
- How to take advantage of the apprenticeship opportunity as an employer and drive more productivity out of the scheme
- How to retain talent, particularly in an uncertain market or economic downturn – career development and rewards
- How to improve the diversity of the sector – what initiatives are working?